Burton Jernigan is one of the four international criminals and the tertiary antagonist of Home Alone 3, who happens to be level-headed and naïve.
Jernigan is seen with Petr Beaupre, Alice Ribbons, and Earl Unger at the airport in San Francisco. After going through security checkpoint, Jernigan helps his team looking for a remote controlled car with a missile chip inside. After the team looked around for the car, Beaupre announces that they are heading to Chicago since it is the only American Airlines flight that is either not delayed or cancelled out of San Francisco.
When they arrive in Chicago in the search of the car, Alice sees Mrs. Hess with the toy car after getting her sourdough bread mixed with their toy car since they both have the same kind of bag. After running through O'Hare International, the group catches up to Hess who jumps into a cab, but Jernigan is able to get a number of the taxi that was on its trunk. After dropping of Mrs. Hess at her house, the taxi driver returned to the airport where Unger and Jernigan chat with him about where Mrs. Hess lives.
During the final battle, he wears a gray-and-white camouflage suit. He gets electrocuted, sprayed with freezing water, gets a haircut by a lawnmower, falls through a hole in the floor, gets hit in the groin (accidentally) by Alice's crowbar (causing him to operatically sing a high note in pain and chastise her for "smacking his winkie!"), and, finally, crashes into a frozen swimming pool (along with Unger). He is later found by police and arrested. He is shown to have contracted Alex Pruitt's chicken pox in his mugshot.
Burton Jernigan is a lot like Marv Murchins, as like the latter, Jernigan lacks common sense, is somewhat naive, and is prone to act without thinking, and make dumb decisions.
One example of acting without thinking is when he was chasing the toy car with the chip, but did not notice Unger—Completely focused on the toy car, Burton is driving recklessly fast, and does not notice Unger, until he (Jernigan) runs over the latter. That evening, Unger reprimands Jernigan for the latter's recklessness.
- "Now things are looking up!"
- ”details, details” (finding about the microchip in the toy car's location when it got lost)
- (finding Alex's toy car) " It's a video camera, someone's on to us!"
- (seeing Alex through the doorway) "Gotcha!"
- (noticing the chair's wired) "Think you're smart, you little brat!"
- (to Alice after she tried to kill Alex Pruitt's pet rat, Doris) "You smacked my winkie!"
- "Don't push."
- (thinking it's Alex) "I got him!!"
- (talking about guy with the missile chip) "He's clean."
- (warning Earl Unger) "Sometimes when kids get scared, they wet their pants."
- Jernigan is the calmest of the group.
- Like Harry Lyme:
- Jernigan gets his head caught in a booby trap except he got a haircut from a lawnmower while Harry got his head burnt by a blowtorch and a lighter.
- Jernigan gets a pet [that belongs to the protagonist or the protagonist's family] on him, and gets accidentally injured by a teammate trying to kill the animal, when the animal escapes in time:
- When Doris the rat was in the middle of Jernigan's pants, Alice tried to kill her with a crowbar, but ended up hitting Jernigan in the balls, causing the latter to operatically howl in pain.
- When Buzz McCallister's Tarantula was flung off onto Harry's chest (by a frightened Marv Murchins), Marv tried to hit the tarantula with his crowbar. However, because the tarantula escaped, Marv ended up accidentally hitting Harry in the ribs.
- Jernigan takes a blow to the groin area, causing his voice to reach a high pitch:
- Kevin McCallister aims Buzz's BB gun at Harry's groin (from inside the house) at a point-blank range, while Harry [with Marv] is pretending to be Santa and his elves. Kevin then fires the BB gun into Harry's groin, owing its aiming position, causing Harry to squeal like a pig, and hop around (holding his groin), cursing.
- When Doris the rat was in the middle of Jernigan's pants, Alice tried to kill her with a crowbar, but ended up hitting Jernigan in the balls (as Doris jumped out in time), causing the latter to operatically howl in pain.